I have been working on this project for awhile now and I'm so happy with how it turned out. I must start by saying that the window that I used came out of my grandpa's old chicken coop. The first step was to wash the window...very...very....well. I used industrial cleaner and then soap and water. I had to clean out all the old caulk because pieces of it had chipped away and replace it with new clear caulk.
Now that they are all cleaned, I had to reposition the pane of glass that wouldn't stay in on it's own. From what my dad could tell he thinks the windows are possibly from the 20's so I can't believe they have stayed together this long! Once I got the window caulked up, I taped off the glass so I could put on a new coat of paint. I didn't want to paint it to look new so I tried to make it look aged.
The next step was to pick out the picture I wanted to place behind the window. I wanted to use a picture that was taken from up north but when I saw this picture in my folder of flowers I have photographed, I knew it was perfect. This is a picture of a flower from the hibiscus plant my step mom gave me. I edited the picture a bit because I wanted it to be either black and white or sepia.
The problem with the frame was that it wasn't exactly a perfect size so I ended up having to get a mat to make the picture fit right. I think it turned out perfect though and have gotten LOTS of compliments. Right now I'm working on cleaning 3 more windows and will post pictures of those when they are finished :)