Thursday, December 11, 2014

DIY ~ Chalkboard Window

This time of year has me itching to do all kinds of DIY projects to pass the time until spring gets here. Yes...I know...winter has just begun, but I'm already ready for spring and camping.


I have been following The Lily Pad Cottage for quite a while and I absolutely LOVE her style. I honestly read her blog every day and have pinned a ton of decorating ideas for when we get our new house. The other day was no different, I read this post featuring a Christmas Chalkboard. I'm not quite sure if hers is a window, but it looks like it might be. When we renovated our old house, we removed the windows and I saved them all. I now have a large stack of them waiting to be used for something just like this.

I had my husband dig one out of the garage so I could wash it up and get it ready for painting. I choose to do a light coat of white paint as I wanted a clean look. I may age it a little later but for now I'm leaving it as is.




I got out the chalkboard paint and painted along all the edges with a small brush, then I followed up by using a roller brush to cover the majority of the window.




I dried each layer with a fan. I'm not a patient person lol. If you can, let each layer dry for at least 24 hours.



I ended up doing two coats of chalkboard paint and I probably could have done three.

Once everything was dry, I went over the entire board with the only chalk I could find. Yep...it's blue. This process primes the chalkboard so it will be easier to clean off your designs each time. You should only need to do it this once.


Here's the finished product :) Yes, I know, my letting is terrible and not centered. I'm going to work on hand lettering and will do a follow-up post with a much better design soon.


I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. I'm going to start running out of space for all these things I'm making! Oh well :) What are you working on? I'd love to hear about it down in the comments.

Until next time.

Much love,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment