Sunday, December 7, 2014

DIY - Sharpie Mug

 
 
 
 
I absolutely love the idea of personalizing. I’m sure most of you have seen this idea on Pinterest and I couldn’t help but go out and find the right Sharpies and a mug. Lucky for me, I happened to find a mug at St. Vincent for $0.50 and the Sharpies were around $7. Make sure you get the oil based paint Sharpies. I’ve read numerous ways to do this, but most of them recommended these for long-lasting results.

Let’s get started!

1.      Wash your mug so you have a clean surface to write on.


2.      Figure out the design you want. I choose to write a motivational phrase and then decorate with gold dots. This is where your creativity can SHINE! There are also many ideas on Pinterest if you are not sure what you want to draw.
 



3.      Let your mug dry overnight before baking it.


4.      Place your mug in a cold oven. Turn the temperature to 350. Bake for 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes is up, turn the oven off and leave your mug in until the oven is completely cool before taking it out. This will insure you won’t have any cracks.


5.      I haven’t fully tested which washing technique is best but I’m going to stick with hand washing for now. I’m going to do another mug and plan to only wash it in the dishwasher. I’ll edit this post once I find out how well the design holds up :)

Hope you enjoyed this fun little tutorial! If you did, I’d love to hear from you down in the comments and if you make your own creation I’d love to see it! If you're on Instagram, tag your mug @ladyephotos.

Until next time.

Much love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial, Liz!! I just did my first one over the weekend and didn't realize the specifics for the oven part. I did 2 mugs and put them in the heated 350 degree oven (as opposed to when just turning on the oven). I also didn't know to leave them in the oven after the 30 minutes is up to let it completely cool! Oops!!! So far so good, but going forward, I'm going to use your steps to be sure I do it correctly :). I washed mine in the dishwasher to test it out (because hand washing will ensure that i NEVER use it!!) and I can report that the design completely stayed put and still looked great (and I used the oil Sharpies as well!). I'm now bitten by the bug and plan to make several more (as soon as I can pick up some more mugs ;)). Great post and love your mug!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky! I LOVED your mug and have been on the hunt for the perfect stickers to use for my next mug. I really want to try decorating a black mug. I did put mine in the dishwasher and in a few places you could see the paint was wearing away so I touched mine up and will bake it again and then handwash from now on. I'm thinking the writing may not be as concentrated with paint as the dots. Make sure you post on Instagram any others you make! I'd love to see them!!!

      Delete