I absolutely love the idea of personalizing. I’m sure most of you have seen this idea on Pinterest and I couldn’t help but go out and find the right Sharpies and a mug. Lucky for me, I happened to find a mug at St. Vincent for $0.50 and the Sharpies were around $7. Make sure you get the oil based paint Sharpies. I’ve read numerous ways to do this, but most of them recommended these for long-lasting results.
Let’s get started!
1. Wash your mug so you have a clean surface to write on.
2. Figure out the design you want. I choose to write a motivational phrase and then decorate with gold dots. This is where your creativity can SHINE! There are also many ideas on Pinterest if you are not sure what you want to draw.
3. Let your mug dry overnight before baking it.
4. Place your mug in a cold oven. Turn the temperature to 350. Bake for 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes is up, turn the oven off and leave your mug in until the oven is completely cool before taking it out. This will insure you won’t have any cracks.
5. I haven’t fully tested which washing technique is best but I’m going to stick with hand washing for now. I’m going to do another mug and plan to only wash it in the dishwasher. I’ll edit this post once I find out how well the design holds up :)
Hope you enjoyed this fun little tutorial! If you did, I’d love to hear from you down in the comments and if you make your own creation I’d love to see it! If you're on Instagram, tag your mug @ladyephotos.
Until next time.